Wednesday 15 September 2010

Reality dawns: Nihon University...or "We'll School You"

I had almost forgotten why I was in Japan. But then it was time to go to Nihon University for an introduction and for endless forms. I soon discovered that I need to be able to write my name in katakana and I really need to remember my address and Japanese phone number!

On Tuesday, we went to the university for our "placement test". This presented some difficulty to the six of us who couldn't read or/write a thing! Fortunately, we were let off any test that would have been horribly demoralising and instead we had a 5-minute informal chat (in English!) and then headed out to Harajuku for some hardcore shopping and general ogling at the foreignness of the place! Sunday is the best day for seeing the youths dressed up in amazing costumes. Here you can see me with some crazy Harajuku girls:


Sadly, our Tuesday shopping proved somewhat underwhelming for me. I actually
restrained myself from buying anything because I am acutely aware of the cost of living here. My commuter pass for 3 months cost me over 30,000 yen (over £224!) The Cambridge crew were also depressed by the fact that Cambridge didn't enter us for the JASSO scholarship. If so, by now I would have over £2500 in my pocket. Actually, I wouldn't because I would have been gripped by a shopping craving so violent that I would still be recovering whilst rolling luxuriously in my new goods. Still, Kaisa did a good job for me. Look at her go!

Yesterday was an "orientation day". I failed from the moment I woke up. In fact, I failed at being "orientated" before I went to sleep. I managed to set my alarm for the time we were supposed to be leaving. Somehow I managed to get washed, dressed, packed and out the door in 8 minutes. This impressive feat was then somehow ruined when I failed to understand English questions addressed to me by the other students and fell off a step in my confusion.

"Orientation" itself was not much of an improvement and included a "tour" round Ichigaya, the area in which we will be studying, which was less a tour and more of an obsessive photo opportunity. Things improved when we returned to the campus at Shimo-tokaido (where we're living). This was due to the gastronomic opportunities an incredibly cheap cafeteria presented me with. Not only did I get a massive and delicious plateful of Japanese curry, rice and tonkatsu (breaded pork fillet) for 360 yen, but I got a cookies and cream ice cream, followed by a caffe latte. Then they took us to a café and bought us drinks and more ice-cream/desserts. It's a shame that my gastrothon has left its very distinctive marks down my white vest top.

The evening ended amazingly with karaoke. Although not everyone was keen, the majority of Cambridge and the Finns turned the energy levels up to 11 and I bopped up and down like a kangaroo on speed.





Reality once again struck when the high of singing non-stop cheese began to sink down into the depths of our stomachs and the memory of a speech in Japanese the next day bubbled its way up. I went back and panicked consulted the oracle AKA the Internet.

The next morning gave us our true experience of rush hour on trains in Tokyo. Soaking wet from the torrential rain, we pushed ourselves onto the train with no room to even lift our arms. Or put your arms down if you're already carrying your bag above your head. A wet bag that then comes to rest in a Japanese man's face. But he didn't complain and so I didn't notice. The bag was then placed in Antony's face instead to the sound of much grumbling.

Our first lesson of the day was given by a very, energetic teacher who conducted the class in hellos and name-giving. We needn't have worried about our speech as by the end of this lesson we were reasonably well-versed in all the appropriate introductory phrases.

Self-introductions are a BIG THING in Japan. Everyone has to say "hajimemashite" (how do you do?/nice to meet you) to the group, before introducing themselves and then bowing whilst wishing the group well again! Here I was thrown off course by my martial arts training: never take your eyes off your opponent. I bowed, keeping my head up and staring intently round the room. The teacher, however, was quick to emphasise the difference between samurai and polite company! Fortunately, I was more successful in the actual opening ceremony and managed to bow correctly and blabber my way through some broken lines, whilst nodding and smiling in a desperate attempt to be ever-so-kawaii (cute - it's another big thing in Japan! It explains why everything has smiley faces. Hello Kitty stickers give instructions on the train!)

Lessons went downhill after lunch when we were given an hour-and-a-half-long speech by an elderly man over 70 who spoke very quietly in poor English about his life story. I had to change position in my chair every 10 seconds to prevent my head rolling and pinches on my leg failed to keep my eyes open. However, I amused myself by watching his ears. He said he was a Buddhist and he had very large ears that hung down and wobbled as he moved his head. They were perfect Buddhist ears. Some people are just suited to their religion.

Things to look forward to: a Japanese culture lesson on honne and tatamae, two Japanese emic concepts that became essential to my dissertation!

Engrish T-Shirt awards:

"We'll School You" worn by a guy just outside of the Nihon University campus

"Crack is Back"

"Masterpiece Bitch" - worn by male

No comments:

Post a Comment