Friday 7 August 2009

August 7th - Giant Buddha!


Today, with the German brothers requesting to accompany me, I set off to Akatsuka. Only two stops away on the tube but then a 1.5km walk (in this humidity, you’ll find that uncomfortable, trust me), we reached an amazing giant Buddha. Check the photo. Just “magnificent”, as an old Japanese guy remarked to me. We then trekked round the botanical gardens next door, admiring the exotic plants. Or as I was, admiring the shells of the crickets that hung in clusters underneath leaves. There were some pretty impressively camouflaged moths that make a clicking noise as they beat their wings. Also, the butterflies here are gigantic – on the size of small birds or bats.

We then went to Ikebekuro because the guys wanted to look round the electronics stores. I personally find one electronic store pretty much like the next. But these stores were often department stores and I have to say, the toy section is amazing. I wish I were a kid in Japan. I really, really do. Crazy robots, amazing fancy-dress costumes, stacking toys that you can put in different combinations, cushions shaped like Russian dolls. Plus there’s a hold lot of things you didn’t know you wanted (and don’t really need), like covers to go on your car key, lego USB sticks and donut cellotape dispensers. The guys were pretty absorbed so my day pretty much ended in Ikebekuro.

Tomorrow, it’s time to go things alone. Although I will go to their friend’s fireworks party…she invited me after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment