Thursday 13 August 2009

Monkeys and Mountains


Today, I went with a fellow CSer (an American who has been living in NZ and Australia) to Mt Takao, a popular hiking spot about an hour away from Tokyo. It was very much a follow-the-trail walk but the views were fantastic, we got to go to "Monkey World" and riding the chair lift was pretty fun. The Japanese couple we went with even bought me some snacks and a mini-present as it was my 21st birthday. Key chains for mobile phones are very popular and I got a pair of kissing monkey heads. Yeah, that's right - kissing monkey heads ie. one for my boyfriend and one for myself. I had a feeling they were trying to set me up with my American friend. Earlier that day I'd paid for my fortune at one of the temples. I received the best fortune ever - apparently I'm not going to get any diseases but travelling with older guy is good for me, apparently.

That evening I went to the Wish Club meet right next to Tokyo Tower (see photo).

Wish Club is run by a Japanese guy called Mochan who in Shizuoka, a city nar Mt Fuji and organises events for travellers. I'm currently listening to him cooking, surrounded by foreigners as I type this. He says everything very loudly, very stretched out and shouts "WOOOOOAAAHHHH" a lot. He likes photos.

"Photo, photo! Japanese tradition!"

No comments:

Post a Comment