Friday 7 August 2009

Interview # 3 and #4

(Once again, I warn you - only read if you're interested in my project)

The same themes came up in both interviews, namely the difference between what one says face-to-face and what one says online and the difference between the “individual” Western people and more group-oriented and “harmonious” Japan – it amazes me that they actually use exactly the same terms as found in books and papers.

When talking to #3, she told me how blogs were used to express emotions she wouldn’t particularly message someone about and that only her close friends could read it. #4 told me the same as well, giving me the terms honne (what someone actually thinks) and tatemae (what they actually say). The Internet, she claims, is shifting the relationship between these two concepts, allowing tatemae to be more easily expressed. However, #3 expressed a concern about the Internet how it “makes us more shy” because we say things online to one another but not face-to-face. Therefore, perhaps the Internet is reinforcing the honne and tatemae in face-to-face communication. Interestingly enough, #3 only expressed these opinions after I switched off the recorder. “Your project…the Internet stuff….you’re asking me about all the bad stuff about Japan.” I’m going to need to examine people’s reactions to the changes the Internet has brought about in greater detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment